This training is limited to 25 people interested in becoming certified 4-H shooting sports instructors in rifle.
This training is limited to 25 people interested in becoming certified 4-H shooting sports instructors in archery.
During this workshop, you will have the opportunity to participate in a great, hands-on workshop focused on fine-tuning your skills for interviewing volunteers.
Participants will learn about policies, risk management, safety, discipline specific equipment use and care, how to teach shooting fundamentals to youth and range set-up.
Join other Michigan youth to experience college life, learn new ideas, and build skills needed for future success. 200+ action-filled classroom & field trip sessions offered.
Dream about hitting a bullseye?
Get kids on target through the 4-H Shooting Sports Program!
The Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports program has been active for over 20 years. Youth in more than 70 counties participate in a variety of shooting sports areas every year! Members can learn safety and shooting techniques for shotgun, rifle, air gun, muzzle loading and archery. They learn how to handle firearms responsibly for target practice and hunting and learn respect for the natural environment.
The goal of all 4-H Youth Development programs is youth development. All project areas work toward developing skills youth need to be productive and positive adults in society. Decision making, teamwork, problem solving, being responsible and having high self-esteem are just a few of the many skills 4-H helps to develop.
Objectives specific to the 4-H Shooting Sports program are to:
- Encourage participation in environmental and outdoor education programs by exposing youth to shooting, hunting and other related activities.
- Support youth in developing valuable conservation and natural resources related knowledge, skills and stewardship.
- Enhance development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting.
- Teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment.
- Promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, ethical behavior, and conservation.
- Strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities.
- Provide hands-on learning experiences.
2015 MI 4-H State Shooting Sports Tournament: August 15, 2015 at Blue Water Sportsman’s Association in St. Clair County near Port Huron, MI
- T-shirts will be for sale on site in a variety of sizes, colors, & styles that can be custom made for you! Be sure to check it out!
- Concessions are available on the grounds for purchase sponsored by the local St Clair County 4-H Shooting Sports Committee. The menu includes: Breakfast - Juice, muffins, doughnuts, water & Lunch - Hot Dogs, Chips, Pop, Water, Candy Bars & Root Beer Floats. Please support them!
2015 MI 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Certification Workshop, April 24-26, 2015
- e-learning course information
NEW FOR FUTURE WORKSHOPS: All four modules of the e-learning course must be completed by all workshop participants prior to the workshop. Participants will not be certified if modules are not completed prior to attending the workshop.
- Certification and Recertification Policies and Application (Updated Dec 2014)
In each 4-H shooting sports discipline, all youth learn basic skills and shoot under the direct supervision of a certified instructor/4-H leader for that discipline.
- Local 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are open to all youth ages 9 to 19.
- Archery or BB Gun can be appropriate for ages 7 and 8 with one on one adult direct supervision at the discretion and authorization of a certified shooting sports instructor.
To find a group in your area visit your county MSU Extension office or check out upcoming 4-H Shooting Sports events. All 4-H shooting sports members must have a Parental Permission Form completed and on file with their County MSU Extension office
Adult 4-H Volunteers
4-H Shooting Sports Instructors
All 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are supervised by certified 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors. Certification workshops are held throughout the year in various locations in addition to the state training at the Kettunen Center in April. (For information on becoming a 4-H Shooting Sports Certified Instructor, please visit 4-H Volunteer Job Description: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor and Michigan State 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Certification and Recertification Policies and Application.) Instructor manuals are distributed at the 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training Workshops. This is the only place to obtain an instructor manual.
How can ‘non-certified’ volunteers help out?
Safe shooting sports programs require a lot of support from adult volunteers. There are many ways to help out — your certified instructor can provide you with additional information. Contact your county MSU Extension office or find a local club in your area and don’t be afraid to ask how you can help!
Support 4-H Shooting Sports
- Organizations wanting to expand youth development through conservation education such as hunting and shooting sports
- Sportsman’s clubs willing to share their space with local groups
Assistance from individuals or organizations is welcome and critical to our mission. To donate, please contact the Michigan 4-H Youth Foundation. The following organizations have provided crucial funding support to youth shooting sports programs so they remain accessible to all youth in Michigan:
- National Wild Turkey Federation
- Michigan Chapter of the NWTF
- The Federal Cartridge Company
- Michigan 4-H Foundation; 4-H Shooting Sports Endowment Fund
- MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development
- MSU Dept. of Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resources Studies
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Nick Baumgart, Extension Educator
Environmental & Outdoor Education & Shooting Sports
Michigan State University Extension
527 Stephenson St.
Norway, MI 49870
- 2013 Michigan 4-H Impact Reports
- 4-H MI Shooting Sports Safety Policy
- 4-H Shooting Sports . . . A Risky Business (Risk Management for 4-H Shooting Sports Events)
- 4-H Shooting Sports: Media Information Sheet for 4-H Shooting Sports Events
- 4-H Shooting Sports: National 4-H Shooting Sports Code of Ethics (for Instructors and Volunteers)
- 4-H Shooting Sports: Sources of Educational Equipment & Training Information
- 4-H Volunteer e-learning Course Instructions
- 4-H Volunteer Job Description: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor
- Federal .22 LR Ammo Program Information
- Instructor Certification Workshop Announcement
- MI 4-H Board of Directors list
- MI 4-H Shooting Sports adult volunteer application for state trainer
- MI 4-H youth application for 4-H Shooting Sports Board of Directors postitions
- Shooting Sports Instructor Certification and Recertification Policies and Application
- Shooting Sports Organizations