Location: Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Annual MSU pre-college program that attracts approximately 2500 youth participants and chaperones representing all 83 Michigan counties.
Location: Centerline of Calhoun County, Bellevue, MI
This annual statewide event provides the opportunity for Michigan State 4-H shooting sports members to test their skills in BB Gun, Trap, Skeet Muzzleloading, Air Rifle, Target Archery and 3-D Archery.
Get kids on target through the 4-H Shooting Sports Program!
The Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports program has been active for over 20 years. Youth in more than 70 counties participate in a variety of shooting sports areas every year! Members can learn safety and shooting techniques for shotgun, rifle, air gun, muzzle loading and archery. They learn how to handle firearms responsibly for target practice and hunting and learn respect for the natural environment.
The goal of all 4-H Youth Development programs is youth development. All project areas work toward developing skills youth need to be productive and positive adults in society. Decision making, teamwork, problem solving, being responsible and having high self-esteem are just a few of the many skills 4-H helps to develop.
Objectives specific to the 4-H Shooting Sports program are to:
- Encourage participation in environmental and outdoor education programs by exposing youth to shooting, hunting and other related activities.
- Support youth in developing valuable conservation and natural resources related knowledge, skills and stewardship.
- Enhance development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting.
- Teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment.
- Promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, ethical behavior, and conservation.
- Strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities.
- Provide hands-on learning experiences.
Upcoming Events & Scholarships
MI 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Certification Workshop, April 26-28, 2013 (Registration deadline is April 12, 2013)
- Announcement contains all information on workshop, sessions, costs, how to register, and other requirements
- Registration Link
- e-learning course information
- Certification and Recertification Policies and Application (Updated Feb 2013)
Michigan 4-H 3-Position Air Rifle Match
4-H Archery Postal Match, Hosted by California. All states invited to participate.
- Registration Link (Registrations must be postmarked by May 1, 2013. Targets are due by June 24, 2013.)
MSU Shooting Teams Scholarships are available. (Application deadline is April 5, 2013)
In each 4-H shooting sports discipline, all youth learn basic skills and shoot under the direct supervision of a certified instructor/4-H leader for that discipline.
- Local 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are open to all youth ages 9 to 19.
- Archery or BB Gun can be appropriate for ages 7 and 8 with one on one adult direct supervision at the discretion and authorization of a certified shooting sports instructor.
To find a group in your area visit your county MSU Extension office or check out upcoming 4-H Shooting Sports events.
Adult 4-H Volunteers
4-H Shooting Sports Instructors
All 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are supervised by certified 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors. Certification workshops are held throughout the year in various locations in addition to the state training at the Kettunen Center in April. (For information on becoming a 4-H Shooting Sports Certified Instructor, please visit 4-H Volunteer Job Description: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor and Michigan State 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Certification and Recertification Policies and Application.) Instructor manuals are distributed at the 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training Workshops. This is the only place to obtain an instructor manual.
How can ‘non-certified’ volunteers help out?
Safe shooting sports programs require a lot of support from adult volunteers. There are many ways to help out — your certified instructor can provide you with additional information. Contact your county MSU Extension office or find a local club in your area and don’t be afraid to ask how you can help!
Support 4-H Shooting Sports
- Organizations wanting to expand youth development through conservation education such as hunting and shooting sports
- Sportsman’s clubs willing to share their space with local groups
Assistance from individuals or organizations is welcome and critical to our mission. To donate, please contact the State 4-H Shooting Sports Coordinator, Jenny Mercer, or the Michigan 4-H Youth Foundation. The following organizations have provided crucial funding support to youth shooting sports programs so they remain accessible to all youth in Michigan:
- National Wild Turkey Federation
- Michigan Chapter of the NWTF
- The Federal Cartridge Company
- Michigan 4-H Foundation; 4-H Shooting Sports Endowment Fund
- MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development
- MSU Dept. of Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resources Studies
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
- 4-H Air Rifle Postal Match 2013 Announcement
- 4-H Air Rifle Postal Match 2013 Registration
- 4-H Shooting Sports . . . A Risky Business (Risk Management for 4-H Shooting Sports Events)
- 4-H Shooting Sports: Media Information Sheet for 4-H Shooting Sports Events
- 4-H Shooting Sports: National 4-H Shooting Sports Code of Ethics (for Instructors and Volunteers)
- 4-H Shooting Sports: Sources of Educational Equipment & Training Information
- 4-H Volunteer e-learning Course Instructions
- 4-H Volunteer Job Description: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor
- Archery Postal Match, CA 4-H
- Federal .22 LR Ammo Program Information
- Instructor Certification Workshop Announcement
- Member’s Personal 4-H Record Book (4H1192)
- Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports Program Safety Practices & Policies
- MSU Shooting Sports Scholarship Application pdf
- MSU Shooting Sports Scholarship Application word
- MSU Shooting Sports Scholarship Information
- National 4-H Shooting Sports Invitational; Michigan Application 2013
- Shooting Sports Instructor Certification and Recertification Policies and Application
- Shooting Sports Organizations