Location: Chestnut Conference Center; 1675 W. Main St. (M21), Owosso, MI 48867
Cooking Matters for Child Care Providers offers a training program designed to empower providers to plan, prepare, and serve healthy meals.
Location: MSU Campus, Breslin Center: 1 Birch Rd, East Lansing, MI
9th Annual Celebration of MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development Lady Spartans Basketball Event.
Location: MSU Campus, East Lansing, MI 48824
The 2014 Festival will feature topics spanning the science spectrum, from astonomy to human behavior to robotics to zoology. Presentations are designed to excite your mind.
Location: Michigan State University Campus, East Lansing, MI 48824
This MSU pre-college program gives young people a chance to experience college life, learn new ideas and skills, and meet people from across Michigan.
Location: Blue Water Sportsman Club 4866 Ravenswood Rd., Kimball, MI 48074
Skills competition for youth 4-H shooting sports members
Food, Health & Well-being
Kids need all the information they can get about their food and fitness options. You can promote nutrition, health and fitness as important parts of a young person’s development. 4-H offers learning opportunities and resources that help kids make healthy food choices, develop their food purchase and preparation skills, create plans for fitness, and prepare and handle food safely.
“My health to better living”
Health involves the physical, social, intellectual, mental and environmental well-being of young people. Michigan 4-H Youth Development supports and empowers individuals, families and volunteers to help young people make proactive decisions about healthy lifestyles. 4-H links decision-making skill building to current health issues such as tobacco use prevention, stress management, nutrition and fitness to teach youth:
- Healthy behaviors
- The science of human diseases
- Ways to become advocates in their communities to build healthy lifestyles
Through 4-H health programs, young people develop:
- Positive values such as responsibility and restraint
- Positive identity and self-esteem
- Social competencies such as resistance skills, stress management skills and the ability to make healthy lifestyle choices
- Start a Natural Helpers program in your school, club or after-school setting.
This peer helper program is based on the premise that within every group of teens there exists an informal “helping network.” Teens aged 13 to 19 with problems naturally seek out other teens (and adults) whom they trust. The Natural Helpers program trains those informal helpers in the skills they need to more effectively help the young people who seek them out. Since 1991, hundreds of young people and adults have participated in Natural Helpers training.
- Get involved in youth tobacco prevention.
Michigan 4-H Youth Development offers a youth tobacco prevention curriculum called “Life’s A Kick! Don’t Start” that provides information and activities designed to encourage young people to make healthy choices about tobacco use. Check out ”Life’s a Kick! Don’t Start” to find ways you can get involved in this very important youth health issue.
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
B’Onko Sadler, Associate Program Leader
- 4-H Virtual Farm
- Eat Healthy! Be Active! Play Outside! Enjoy Nature! Make Friends! Youth Activity Sampler
- Folkpatterns 4-H Leader’s Guide (4H1506)
- Foodways: A 4-H Folkpatterns Project (4H1329)
- Getting Started in the Michigan 4-H–Sponsored Natural Helpers Peer-Helping Program
- Healthy Habits! A Leader’s Guide to Helping Children Reduce the Risk of Cancer (4H1597)
- Heritage Gardening: Vegetables (4H1279)
- JIFF Info. for Staff, Educators and Volunteers
- Jump Into Foods & Fitness (JIFF) Information for Staff, Educators & Volunteers (4H1602)
- Jump Into Foods & Fitness: Promotional Materials
- Jump Into Foods & Fitness: Recommended Book List for Youth
- Jump Into Foods & Fitness: Recommended Websites for Families
- Jump Into Foods & Fitness: Recommended Websites for Youth
- Life’s a Kick! Youth Tobacco Use Prevention Project (4H1596)
- Member’s Personal 4-H Record Book (4H1192)
- Michigan 4-H Safety Belt Program Toolkit
- Nutrition, Physical Activity & Health Organizations & Programs
- Peer Helping Organizations
- Tobacco Use Prevention Organizations