Location: MSU Campus, East Lansing, MI 48824
The 2014 Festival will feature topics spanning the science spectrum, from astonomy to human behavior to robotics to zoology. Presentations are designed to excite your mind.
Location: Michigan State University Campus, East Lansing, MI 48824
This MSU pre-college program gives young people a chance to experience college life, learn new ideas and skills, and meet people from across Michigan.
Take some time to learn about our small, successful insect neighbors. After all, there are many more of them than there are of us!
You can do service-learning projects related to insects; observe, photograph and collect insects (either by using catch-and-release methods or by making a specimen collection); and more! Read on, and have fun going “buggy!”
Service Learning and Entomology
- Emerald Ash Borer Eradication – Get involved with the effort to wipe out the emerald ash borer! You and other Michigan 4-H’ers can help spread the word about the importance of not moving firewood from quarantined areas. You can also help others identify this invasive species and help identify infested ash trees. To learn more visit http://www.emeraldashborer.info/. You can also download a “Help Stop the Emerald Ash Borer” informational Flier.
- Purple Loosestrife Eradication– Rear the beetles that love to munch on purple loosestrife, an invasive species that is crowding native plants out of Michigan wetlands. Visit the Michigan Sea Grant “Purple Pages” at http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/pp/index.html to find out how.
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Nick Baumgart, Extension Educator
Environmental & Outdoor Education & Shooting Sports
Michigan State University Extension
527 Stephenson St.
Norway, MI 49870
- 4-H Entomology Class & Order Labels (4H1331)
- 4-H Entomology Labels (4H1231)
- 4-H Entomology Leader’s Guide
- 4-H Entomology Record & Report (4H1393)
- 4-H Environmental & Outdoor Education 2011–12 Awards, Career Preparation, Contests & Grants
- Advanced Entomological Techniques Member’s Guide: 4-H Entomology Series (4H1336)
- Basic Entomology Member’s Guide: 4-H Entomology Series (4H1335)
- Entomology Organizations & Websites
- Entomology – Insectaganza of Excitement series
- Guide for Creating an Effective 4-H Youth Conservation Council
- Insect Life Cycle Studies Member’s Manual 3 (4H1406)
- Kaleidoscope: Just Outside the Door Leader’s Guide (4H1460)
- Kaleidoscope: Just Outside the Door Member’s Packet (4H1461)
- Member’s Personal 4-H Record Book (4H1192)
- No Child Left Inside: 4-H Introduces Kids to a World of Nature