A session for youth and adults to explore fun, easy environmental projects.
Join Michigan Forest Association and MSU faculty to explore how to enrich your classroom with intentional nature lessons and take home knowledge you can use in your classroom.
This MSU pre-college program gives young people a chance to experience college life, learn new ideas and skills, and meet people from across Michigan.
Join us for a great weekend of camping, with OR without your horse!! We offer lots of activities!
This MSU pre-college program gives young people a chance to explore ideas, research and opportunities in the field of energy as it relates to natural resources and agriculture
Environmental & Outdoor Education
Journey through field, forest, wetlands and urban areas to discover the wonders and mysteries of Michigan’s natural environment. Through 4-H environmental and outdoor education projects you will learn about the interconnection of people and nature. You’ll also develop respect and appreciation for and a sense of stewardship toward our natural resources. Enjoy time outdoors and develop an understanding and appreciation of the environment through three core theme areas:
- Basic science and ecology
- Interrelationships and impacts
- Health, wellness and positive outdoor experiences
The following 4-H EOE project areas incorporate these themes into their learning activities:
- Entomology (Insects)
- Great Lakes & Natural Resources Camp
- Junior Citizen Planner
- The Michigan 4-H Youth Conservation Council
- Outdoor Adventure Challenge
- Shooting Sports
Awards, Contests, Grants & Career Preparation Opportunities
Opportunities related to 4-H Environmental and Outdoor Education abound! For more information check 4-H Environmental & Outdoor Education Awards, Contests, Grants & Career Preparation Opportunities listing for 2014.
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Nick Baumgart, Extension Educator
Environmental & Outdoor Education & Shooting Sports
Michigan State University Extension
527 Stephenson St.
Norway, MI 49870
- 4-H Entomology Class & Order Labels (4H1331)
- 4-H Entomology Labels (4H1231)
- 4-H Entomology Leader’s Guide
- 4-H Entomology Record & Report (4H1393)
- 4-H Science Blast in the Class! Teacher’s Guide
- 4-H TRACKERS
- Advanced Entomological Techniques Member’s Guide: 4-H Entomology Series (4H1336)
- Basic Entomology Member’s Guide: 4-H Entomology Series (4H1335)
- Eat Healthy! Be Active! Play Outside! Enjoy Nature! Make Friends! Youth Activity Sampler
- Entomology Organizations & Websites
- Entomology – Insectaganza of Excitement series
- Guide for Creating an Effective 4-H Youth Conservation Council
- Insect Life Cycle Studies Member’s Manual 3 (4H1406)
- Junior Citizen Planner Curriculum
- Kaleidoscope: Just Outside the Door Leader’s Guide (4H1460)
- Kaleidoscope: Just Outside the Door Member’s Packet (4H1461)
- Michigan 4-H Entomology Project Snapshot (4H1631)
- No Child Left Inside: 4-H Introduces Kids to a World of Nature
- Priming the Pipeline: Lessons from Promising 4-H Science Programs
- Septic Educational Program To Instill Conservation (SEPTIC)
- The Walk: Taking Your Youth Outdoors for Environmental Stewardship & Learning (4H1593)