This MSU pre-college program teaches young people about Michigan’s diverse natural resources, environmental science, the Great Lakes ecosystems and management issues.
Youth interested in hands-on, interactive and experiential learning activities should plan to attend this year's Eco-Challenge experiencing biomimicry.
Overnight Outdoor 4-H Camp.
Experience a 5-day hands-on science based experience at Indian Springs Metropark (White Lake, MI) for youth ages 12-18. The 2014 4-H Eco-Challenge will be focused on Biomicry.
Learn about how our sustainable pasture-based dairy farm works to preserve our environment.
Environmental & Outdoor Education
Journey through field, forest, wetlands and urban areas to discover the wonders and mysteries of Michigan’s natural environment. Through 4-H environmental and outdoor education projects you will learn about the interconnection of people and nature. You’ll also develop respect and appreciation for and a sense of stewardship toward our natural resources. Enjoy time outdoors and develop an understanding and appreciation of the environment through three core theme areas:
- Basic science and ecology
- Interrelationships and impacts
- Health, wellness and positive outdoor experiences
The following 4-H EOE project areas incorporate these themes into their learning activities:
- Entomology (Insects)
- Great Lakes & Natural Resources Camp
- Junior Citizen Planner
- The Michigan 4-H Youth Conservation Council
- Outdoor Adventure Challenge
- Shooting Sports
Awards, Contests, Grants & Career Preparation Opportunities
Opportunities related to 4-H Environmental and Outdoor Education abound! For more information check 4-H Environmental & Outdoor Education Awards, Contests, Grants & Career Preparation Opportunities listing for 2014.
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Nick Baumgart, Extension Educator
Environmental & Outdoor Education & Shooting Sports
Michigan State University Extension
527 Stephenson St.
Norway, MI 49870
- 2013 Michigan 4-H Impact Reports
- 4-H Entomology Class & Order Labels (4H1331)
- 4-H Entomology Labels (4H1231)
- 4-H Entomology Leader’s Guide
- 4-H Entomology Record & Report (4H1393)
- 4-H Science Blast in the Class! Teacher’s Guide
- 4-H TRACKERS
- Advanced Entomological Techniques Member’s Guide: 4-H Entomology Series (4H1336)
- Basic Entomology Member’s Guide: 4-H Entomology Series (4H1335)
- Eat Healthy! Be Active! Play Outside! Enjoy Nature! Make Friends! Youth Activity Sampler
- Entomology Organizations & Websites
- Entomology – Insectaganza of Excitement series
- Guide for Creating an Effective 4-H Youth Conservation Council
- Insect Life Cycle Studies Member’s Manual 3 (4H1406)
- Junior Citizen Planner Curriculum
- Kaleidoscope: Just Outside the Door Leader’s Guide (4H1460)
- Kaleidoscope: Just Outside the Door Member’s Packet (4H1461)
- Michigan 4-H Entomology Project Snapshot (4H1631)
- No Child Left Inside: 4-H Introduces Kids to a World of Nature
- Priming the Pipeline: Lessons from Promising 4-H Science Programs
- Septic Educational Program To Instill Conservation (SEPTIC)
- The Walk: Taking Your Youth Outdoors for Environmental Stewardship & Learning (4H1593)