Location: Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Annual MSU pre-college program that attracts approximately 2500 youth participants and chaperones representing all 83 Michigan counties.
Express yourself through creative art projects! Have fun while gaining skills and confidence by drawing, painting, taking photos, working with wood or making crafts. 4-H visual arts includes crafts, fine arts, photography and woodworking.
4-H Children’s Art Exchange with China
Kindergartners to sixth graders are invited to send “visual letters” to children their own age in China. Teaching kits are available to facilitate teaching about both China and making art. For more information, check out the Michigan 4-H China Project and the online exhibit, “Visual Letters–The Art of Michigan Children.”
Michigan Week Youth Photo Contest
2003 was the first year of a youth photo contest coordinated by Michigan State University Extension’s 4-H Youth Development and the Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries with financial support from donations to the Michigan 4-H Foundation and the Michigan Barn Preservation Network. Note that following Executive Order No. 2009-36, effective October 1, 2009, which abolished the Department of History, Arts and Libraries, the Michigan Week Youth Photo Contest was moved to the Michigan 4-H Youth Development site.
- View the Michigan Week 2009 Youth Photo Contest State and Regional Winners. (Note: Adobe PDF file opens in full screen mode. Press right and left arrow keys to advance or go back. Press escape to leave full screen mode.)
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office
- 4-H Arts Project Evaluation Guidelines for Youth Aged 9 to 19
- 4-H Arts Project Evaluation Tools in Word and PDF Formats
- 4-H Children’s Art Exchange Study Guide
- 4-H China Art Exchange Powerpoint
- 4-H Visual Arts Resources from the National 4-H Mall
- Member’s Personal 4-H Record Book (4H1192)
- Michigan 4-H Photography Project Snapshot (4H1617)
- Michigan Arts Organizations