This one-day event open to all Michigan 4-H members is held annually at MSU in East Lansing, MI. Free to public in the MSU Pavilion Exhibit Area.
4-H Winterfest offers participants an opportunity to experience an overnight camp setting and learn about project areas.
The 4-H Rabbit and Cavy Expo is designed for young people who are interested in live animal evaluation and in testing their knowledge of the rabbit and cavy fancy.
Rabbits & Cavies
Want to teach your friends the difference between a rabbit and a cavy?
What hops like a rabbit and sounds like a rabbit and smells like a rabbit, but isn’t a rabbit? A cavy! No matter which you choose, rabbit or cavy, it could be the ideal project for you if you’re interested in an animal project but live in an urban area. They’re also great for small farms or rural areas where lack of space, facilities or money make it hard to raise larger animals.
Rabbits and cavies let you gain experience in feeding and managing animals for fun, companionship and profit.
Michigan 4-H Rabbit Fitting and Showmanship Guide Demonstration Videos:
Michigan 4-H Rabbit Showmanship-Handling
Michigan 4-H Rabbit Showmanship-Examining
Michigan 4-H Rabbit Showmanship-Posing
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Katie Ockert, 4-H Animal Science Educator
- Animal Care and Well-Being
- Be Healthy at the Fair Sign
- Cavy Fitting & Showmanship Leader’s Supplement (4H1346)
- Cavy Fitting & Showmanship Member’s Guide (4H1345)
- Michigan 4-H Animal Treatment Record Sheet
- Michigan 4-H Market Animal Project Record Book
- Michigan 4-H Rabbit Project Snapshot (4H1613)
- National 4-H Rabbit Curriculum
- Rabbit & Cavy Organizations
- Rabbit Fitting & Showing Member’s Guide (4H1268)
- Rabbit Tracks: Summer Rabbit Care (4H1440)
- Rabbit Tracks: Water (4H1509)
- Rabbit Tracks: Winter Rabbit Care (4H1439)
- Sportsmanship and Competitive Event Resources
- Zoonotic Disease