Location: Anthony Hall, MSU, East Lansing, MI
The 4-H Rabbit and Cavy Expo is designed for young people who are interested in live animal evaluation and in testing their knowledge of the rabbit and cavy fancy in a fun and educational manner.
The event catalog will be posted shortly.
Location: Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Annual MSU pre-college program that attracts approximately 2500 youth participants and chaperones representing all 83 Michigan counties.
Rabbits & Cavies
What hops like a rabbit and sounds like a rabbit and smells like a rabbit, but isn’t a rabbit? A cavy! No matter which you choose, rabbit or cavy, it could be the ideal project for you if you’re interested in an animal project but live in an urban area. They’re also great for small farms or rural areas where lack of space, facilities or money make it hard to raise larger animals.
Rabbits and cavies let you gain experience in feeding and managing animals for fun, companionship and profit.
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Katie VanderKolk, 4-H Animal Science Educator
- 4-H Animal Project Record for Beginning Members (4H1457)
- 4-H Livestock Record Book for Intermediate and Advanced Members (4H1177)
- Animal Judges Lists and Permission Forms
- Cavy Fitting & Showmanship Leader’s Supplement (4H1346)
- Cavy Fitting & Showmanship Member’s Guide (4H1345)
- How do proposed changes to federal child labor laws affect you? (10/17/11)
- Member’s Personal 4-H Record Book (4H1192)
- Michigan 4-H Rabbit Project Snapshot (4H1613)
- National 4-H Rabbit Curriculum
- Rabbit & Cavy Organizations
- Rabbit Fitting & Showing Member’s Guide (4H1268)
- Rabbit Tracks: Breeding Techniques & Management (4H1464)
- Rabbit Tracks: Choosing a Breed (4H1462)
- Rabbit Tracks: Feeds & Feeding (4H1465)
- Rabbit Tracks: Handling (4H1437)
- Rabbit Tracks: Meat Quality & Carcass Evaluation (4H1508)
- Rabbit Tracks: Nutritional Value of Rabbit Meat (4H1510)
- Rabbit Tracks: Selecting Stock (4H1463)
- Rabbit Tracks: Showroom Tips (4H1438)
- Rabbit Tracks: Starting a 4-H Rabbit Project (4H1436)
- Rabbit Tracks: Summer Rabbit Care (4H1440)
- Rabbit Tracks: Tanning Rabbit Skins (4H1511)
- Rabbit Tracks: Water (4H1509)
- Rabbit Tracks: Winter Rabbit Care (4H1439)
- Recommendations for Managing Public-Animal Contact
- Veterinary Science Organizations