Location: Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Annual MSU pre-college program that attracts approximately 2500 youth participants and chaperones representing all 83 Michigan counties.
Location: MSU Pavilion, East Lansing, MI
In the State Youth Livestock Judging Contest, participants can enhance their livestock evaluation and selection skills, as well as improve their communication and decision making skills. This contest will include both individual and team competition.
You can participate in 4-H livestock projects in three areas:
- 4-H Beef Projects
You can explore all aspects of raising beef cattle including animal selection, care, feeding, record-keeping and marketing. You might raise a steer for market or you could focus on breeding cattle and start a herd of your own. No matter which aspect you choose, you’ll gain an appreciation of animals and an understanding of the beef cattle industry.
- 4-H Sheep Projects
As with beef projects, you can explore all aspects of sheep raising including animal selection, care, feeding, record-keeping and marketing. You can focus on market lambs, breeding sheep or both. No matter which you choose, you’ll develop a respect for animals and an understanding of the sheep industry.
- 4-H Swine Projects
If you choose a swine project, you’ll learn about animal selection, care, feeding, record-keeping and marketing. You can choose market hogs, breeding hogs or both. As with all livestock projects, you’ll develop an appreciation for your animal and an understanding of the swine industry.
Livestock management is a part of Michigan’s important agricultural industry, which is vital to the state’s economy and future prosperity. Participating in 4-H livestock projects could set you on the path to an excellent career in agriculture.
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Jacob DeDecker, PhD, 4-H Program Leader
Department of Animal Science
- 2011 State 4-H and FFA Livestock Judging Contest Rules and Entry Form
- 4-H Animal Project Record for Beginning Members (4H1457)
- 4-H Livestock Record Book for Intermediate and Advanced Members (4H1177)
- Animal Judges Lists and Permission Forms
- Beef Cow Calving and Breeding Record (4H1340)
- Beef Cow Production Record (4H1339)
- Ewe Production Record (4H1344)
- Feed Record Card (4H1277)
- How do proposed changes to federal child labor laws affect you? (10/17/11)
- Livestock Organizations
- Member’s Personal 4-H Record Book (4H1192)
- Michigan 4-H Judging Cards (4-H1293–96)
- Michigan 4-H Sheep Project Snapshot (4H1619)
- Michigan 4-H Swine Project Snapshot (4H1618)
- Recommendations for Managing Public-Animal Contact
- Sheep Flock Record (4H1343)
- Sow Production Record (4H1341)
- Swine Litter Record (4H1342)
- Veterinary Science Organizations
- Your 4-H Market Beef Project (4H1188)
- Your 4-H Market Hog Project (4H1064)