Get your horse in shape for the summer riding season – for all riding disciplines
A fun and education 4-H horse clinic where members can develop new skills in the horse project area. Deadline to register is April 1.
Open Youth Horse Shows, May 9, June 20 and July 18, 2015.
Join other Michigan teens as they participate at 4-H Animal and Veterinary Science Camp this summer.
Join us or a fun weekend of camping, with or without your horse!
Attend Oakland County's 4-H Horse Camp to better improve your horsemanship skills, prepare for horse shows, meet other horse kids and have fun!
Join other Michigan youth to experience college life, learn new ideas, and build skills needed for future success. 200+ action-filled classroom & field trip sessions offered.
Horses & Ponies
Love horses but live in town?
When you own or care for a horse or pony, you experience pride and responsibility, and develop valuable social and physical skill. You can be involved in a 4-H horse project in lots of ways, and many activities don’t require horse ownership. You can participate in show, trail or endurance riding, study horse science, participate in quiz bowls, rodeos, judging teams and much more!
4-H Proud Equestrians Program (PEP)
Riders with disabilities and the volunteers who work with them can gain great satisfaction through this therapeutic horseback riding program. With the help of trained and caring volunteers, riders can improve balance, coordination, posture and muscle tone. Horseback riding also increases self-esteem, self-confidence, discipline and social growth. But more importantly, riding is fun!
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Karen Waite, 4-H Equine Specialist
Phone: 517-432-0383 or
Taylor Fabus, Instructor
Department of Animal Science
- Horse & Pony Project Record Book (4H1072)
- Michigan 4-H Biological Sciences Project Snapshot (4H1622)
- Michigan 4-H Horse & Pony Project Show Rules & Regulations
- Michigan 4-H Horse & Pony Project Snapshot (4H1614)
- Michigan 4-H Horse Judges List 2012
- Michigan 4-H Proud Equestrians Program CD-ROM (4H1607)
- Michigan 4-H Proud Equestrians Program Snapshot (4H1637)
- Stable Record Card (4H1073)
- Using Learning Style Preferences to Teach More Effective Riding Lessons
- Zoonotic Disease