Join us for a weekend of educational equine events and shop at the annual MQHA tack sale!
Explore animal systems and learn about animal health for a broad array of animals species.
Have you ever wondered why you placed the way you did at a horse show? Now is your chance for feedback from the judges!
Join other Michigan teens as they participate at 4-H Animal and Veterinary Science Camp this summer.
Join other Michigan youth to experience college life, learn new ideas, and build skills needed for future success. 200+ action-filled classroom & field trip sessions offered.
Horses & Ponies
Love horses but live in town?
When you own or care for a horse or pony, you experience pride and responsibility, and develop valuable social and physical skill. You can be involved in a 4-H horse project in lots of ways, and many activities don’t require horse ownership. You can participate in show, trail or endurance riding, study horse science, participate in quiz bowls, rodeos, judging teams and much more!
4-H Proud Equestrians Program (PEP)
Riders with disabilities and the volunteers who work with them can gain great satisfaction through this therapeutic horseback riding program. With the help of trained and caring volunteers, riders can improve balance, coordination, posture and muscle tone. Horseback riding also increases self-esteem, self-confidence, discipline and social growth. But more importantly, riding is fun!
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Karen Waite, 4-H Equine Specialist
Phone: 517-432-0383 or
Taylor Fabus, Instructor
Department of Animal Science
- 4-H Animal Science Anywhere
- Animal Judges Lists and Permission Forms
- Horse & Pony Project Record Book (4H1072)
- Michigan 4-H Biological Sciences Project Snapshot (4H1622)
- Michigan 4-H Horse & Pony Project Show Rules & Regulations
- Michigan 4-H Horse & Pony Project Snapshot (4H1614)
- Michigan 4-H Horse Judges List 2012
- Michigan 4-H Judging Cards (4-H1293–96)
- Michigan 4-H Proud Equestrians Program CD-ROM (4H1607)
- Michigan 4-H Proud Equestrians Program Snapshot (4H1637)
- Stable Record Card (4H1073)
- Using Learning Style Preferences to Teach More Effective Riding Lessons
- Veterinary Science Organizations
- Zoonotic Disease