This program is an opportunity to present and exchange new ideas, activities, approaches and best practices in the rabbit and cavy industry.
4-H Winterfest offers participants an opportunity to experience an overnight camp setting and learn about project areas.
On June 1, 2015, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development made the difficult decision to cancel all 2015 poultry and waterfowl exhibitions to help prevent the potential introduction of avian influenza to Michigan. In lieu of showing live birds at fairs and exhibitions, Michigan State University Extension has created alternatives to ensure that the time and talent that Michigan 4-H’ers have invested in their projects is respected. Contact your county 4-H program coordinator for more information, and visit http://msue.msu.edu/poultryshows.
Curious how many eggs chickens lay?
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to a gentleman on the other side. When the chicken asked, “What’s your name?” the gentleman replied, “Bond. James Bond. What’s yours?” The chicken responded, “Ken. Chic Ken.”
Seriously, if you’ve ever pondered the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg, you’ll have the chance to try to discover the answer when you participate in a 4-H poultry project. If chickens aren’t your style, you could try turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants, pigeons or coturnix (Japanese quail).
Come on! Don’t be a chicken! Be a good egg and give it a try!
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Katie Ockert, 4-H Animal Science Educator
- 4-H Poultry Fitting & Showmanship Leader’s Guide (4H1521)
- 4-H Poultry Fitting & Showmanship Member’s Guide (4H1520)
- 4-H Poultry Modified Showmanship Score Sheet
- Animal Care and Well-Being
- Animal Judges Lists and Permission Forms
- Be Healthy at the Fair Sign
- Michigan 4-H Animal Treatment Record Sheet
- Michigan 4-H Biological Sciences Project Snapshot (4H1622)
- Michigan 4-H Market Animal Project Record Book
- Michigan 4-H Poultry Project Snapshot (4H1612)
- Poultry Organizations
- Sportsmanship and Competitive Event Resources
- Zoonotic Disease