Participants in this webcast will learn practical things a horse owner should know, and can do, that will reduce risks to horses during fires, floods and storms.
This workshop will cover several goat science related topics.
Dollar Works 2 provides information on Making Money Decisions, Creating and Managing a Spending Plan, The Importance of Savings, Credit Use and Paying Off Debt.
This conference provides continuing education for current 4-H PEP Program certified instructors.
The workshop will cover several poultry science related topics such as nutrition, care and management, show techniques, entrepreneurship opportunities and careers.
Program includes updates on current subject matter, information to assist leaders in youth development, leadership skills for youth, youth activities, and other opportunities.
Explore animal systems and learn about animal health for a broad array of animals species.
Learn about animal health, management, care and nutrition, livestock, meat evaluation, animal management and much more!
Learn about real-world dairy management topics, like nutrition, reproduction, welfare, health, and dairy cattle evaluation.
Think you have to live on or near a farm to work with animals in 4-H?
Think . . . again!
Lots of people think 4-H is all about living on a farm and raising a cow or a pig, taking it to fair, winning a blue ribbon and maybe selling the animal to earn money for college. For some youth, that’s true, although there’s a lot more to it than that!
But thousands of kids in 4-H work with animals and have never set foot on a farm. They’re working with dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, birds, fish, snakes, turtles—you name it. Not only do you get to be with animals that make great companions, you’ll understand them so much better when you learn about what to feed them, how to train them and how to enhance their environment. By the way, all of those things? That’s why it’s called animal science!
Caring for an animal is a big deal, so you’ll definitely learn to be responsible. If you could use a boost in confidence and want to get better at communicating, working with an animal could be right up your alley. And there’s nothing like working with an animal to help you feel connected to another living being.
It can be fantastic, but it can also be hard. Seeing an animal being born is like….wow! Losing an animal friend could hurt, though. It’s all part of life, and working with animals let’s you learn to cope with all kinds of experiences.
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Jacob DeDecker, PhD, 4-H program leader
- 2011 Bi State Poultry Clinic Medical-Media Release Form
- 2013 Michigan 4-H Impact Reports
- 4-H Animal Project Record for Beginning Members (4H1457)
- 4-H Animal Science Anywhere
- 4-H Science Blast in the Class! Teacher’s Guide
- 4-H Virtual Farm
- Animal Judges Lists and Permission Forms
- Ewe Production Record (4H1344)
- Horse & Pony Project Record Book (4H1072)
- Livestock Organizations
- Michigan 4-H Animal Evaluation Project Snapshot (4H1628)
- Michigan 4-H Beef Project Snapshot (4H1629)
- Michigan 4-H Biological Sciences Project Snapshot (4H1622)
- Michigan 4-H Dairy Cattle Lease
- Michigan 4-H Dairy Cattle Project Snapshot (4H1615)
- Michigan 4-H Dog Project Snapshot (4H1610)
- Michigan 4-H Goat Project Snapshot (4H1611)
- Michigan 4-H Horse & Pony Project Show Rules & Regulations
- Michigan 4-H Horse & Pony Project Snapshot (4H1614)
- Michigan 4-H Poultry Project Snapshot (4H1612)
- Michigan 4-H Rabbit Project Snapshot (4H1613)
- Michigan 4-H Sheep Project Snapshot (4H1619)
- Michigan 4-H Swine Project Snapshot (4H1618)
- Michigan 4-H Veterinary Science Project Snapshot (4H1633)
- National 4-H Rabbit Curriculum
- Poultry Organizations
- Pygmy Goat Basic Owner’s Manual
- Rabbit & Cavy Organizations
- Rabbit Tracks: Summer Rabbit Care (4H1440)
- Rabbit Tracks: Water (4H1509)
- Rabbit Tracks: Winter Rabbit Care (4H1439)
- Sheep Flock Record (4H1343)
- Sow Production Record (4H1341)
- Stable Record Card (4H1073)
- Swine Litter Record (4H1342)
- Using Learning Style Preferences to Teach More Effective Riding Lessons
- Veterinary Science Organizations
- Your 4-H Angora Goat Project
- Your 4-H Market Beef Project (4H1188)
- Your 4-H Market Hog Project (4H1064)